Turney Carpentry is a small team of skilled builders operating in qathet (Powell River), servicing Lund to Saltery Bay. We specialize in renovations, additions, tiny homes, and decks.

    From foundation to finish, we build attractive, durable structures. We practice clear, organized communication and provide complete transparency in our billing practice. 


The Crew


Craig Turney - general contractor

    Craig is a Red Seal carpenter and general contractor (certificate #K03121178). 

    After graduating from the University of British Columbia with a BA in anthropology, Craig spent some time working odd-jobs and travelling abroad before deciding to follow the family tradition and complete a carpentry apprenticeship.

    Years of working for construction companies that emphasized profits and growth over craftsmanship and responsible environmental practice, convinced Craig to start his own business. Filling a much needed void of personable management and high quality work on residential projects, Turney Carpentry operated sucessfully in Victoria from 2019-2022.

    In late 2022 he decided to follow his love of the outdoors and leave the bustle of the city. Along with his partner Kelly, he now calls Cranberry home and enjoys exploring the beautiful forests, mountains, ocean, and lakes of qathet.  

abridged CV:

University of British Columbia - Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology (2013)
Camosun College - Red Seal Endorsement, Carpentry (2021)
Island School of Building Arts - Timber Frame Post and Beam (2022)




Services


Outdoor Structures

  • tiny houses
  • garages
  • decks
  • sheds

Renovations

  • additions
  • character homes
  • complete bathroom and kitchen upgrades
  • finishing (trim, flooring, siding, etc.)

Green Building

  • timber framing
  • material selection for occupant and environmental health
  • passive solar design
  • natural techniques (light clay straw, cob, cellulose insulation, etc.)

General Contracting

  • project management
  • access to network of skilled and trusted sub-trades (plumbing, electrical, cabinetry, drywall, etc.)

Pre-Construction

  • consultation
  • estimates and budgeting
  • permit applications

    Looking for something you don’t see listed here? This list isn’t exhaustive, so please enquire and we may be able to help!


Pricing


    We operate under a time and material (T&M) contract, which we believe is the best arrangement for both the client and contractor. Put simply, it means that the amount charged is for the hours worked, plus the cost of material needed to complete your project. If you want to get into the nitty gritty, you can review the details of our standard terms here.

   We have an open book policy, and believe in complete transparency. Reciepts for all expenses incurred are included as PDF attachements to your invoice. If you’re curious to know how our rates are calculated, please check out our operating budget here

 
Our standard rates are:

  • $70/hr (+GST) for a general contractor
  • $60/hr (+GST) for a journeyman carpenter
  • $45-55/hr (+GST) for an apprentice carpenter (depending on experience)
  • 15% markup on material and subcontracted labour. Copies of receipts are included with weekly invoices.

    Additionally, please inquire, as we offer a discounted rate for non-profits and projects that benefit the community.

Social and Environmental


    As a small local business, we believe strongly in our responsibility to the community in which we live and work.

Social

    As an employer, we strive to create an inclusive environment that is safe and welcoming for everyone, clients and workers alike. We have a zero tolerance policy for any form of hate or discrimination. 

   We love to work on projects that benefit the community - and are pleased to offer discounted rates for grassroots projects, non-profits, and First Nation clients. 

Environmental

    The construction industry is one of the largest contributors to municipal solid waste - Statistics Canada estimates that the construction industry generates about 4 million tonnes of waste annually. Of that waste only 16% was reused or recycled, while the remaining 84% (3.4 million tonnes)was disposed of in landfills.

   As builders, we have an outsized impact and a responsibility to minimize the waste we generate. Whenever possible we divert waste by recycling and donating reusable items. Our in-depth knowledge on the environmental impacts of material selection and design can help further reduce the footprint of your project.

Fully Licenced and Insured


 

   Registered and in good standing with WorkSafe BC (you can request a clearance letter here - account #200399786). Covered for $5 million in commercial general liability through Western Coast Insurance. Hold a current Business Licence to operate in Powell River